Dedicated to champion newspaperman Howard H. Hayes, the new 150,000-sq.-ft. five-story media center houses 634 employees of The Riverside Press-Enterprise Newspaper and PE.com. This was the first operations move for The Press-Enterprise since 1955.
The project included a new 78,000-sq.-ft. ground-up, steel-framed office building for personnel, and an expanded parking area for about 171 cars. Sitework included demolition and renovation of existing paving, light structures, terra-cotta tile, glass, and aluminum composite panel exterior and landscaping. The terra cotta tiles and opposing angles of the new media center fit perfectly into the Downtown Riverside skyline. All of the buildings' 34 conference rooms are named after well-known landmarks and communities around Southern California's Inland Empire.
The project took 130,000 hours of labor and 15 months to complete, with 52% of construction waste diverted from landfills.