A 12-party Integrated Form Of Agreement (IFOA) provided the foundation for the Integrated Project Delivery Team to design and provide preconstruction services using Lean principals, Building Information Modeling (BIM), and shared incentive to construct this ground up hospital in the middle of an existing fully operational urban hospital campus.
The new Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Patient Care Pavilion houses 243 medical/surgical and acute rehabilitation beds. The Patient Care Pavilion building consists of two major components: a patient care tower and a basement and rooftop central utility plant. The new tower is 13 stories tall, with 11 stories reaching approximately 184 feet above ground, and two levels below grade, wrapping around the existing Merritt Pavilion and providing approximately 250,000 sq. ft. of new space.
Photos provided by Devenney Group
An integrated form of agreement (IFOA) provided the foundation for the 12-party integrated project delivery (IPD) team to design and provide preconstruction services using Lean principals, building information modeling (BIM), and shared incentive to construct this ground-up facility in the middle of an existing fully operational urban hospital campus.
- Quantity Take-off
- Model Based Estimating
- SPW Detailing
- SPW Tracking
- MEP Coordination
- Constructability Analysis
- Total Station Integration
- Site Logistics Planning
The project was designed to achieve LEED Silver certification and followed the Green Guide for Health Care and Sustainability Practices. Following are some current metrics:
- DPR Construction recycled 85% of demolition materials:
- Asphalt/Concrete: 100%
- Scrap Metal: 100%
- Mixed Debris: 80%
- Project met all requirements for Green Guide to Healthcare and Sustainability Practices.
- Exceeds California Title 24 Energy Efficiency Standards by 16%.
- 1.1 watts/sf for lighting design.
- PVC-free building.
- 75% of the rooms are naturally day lit.
- No chlorofluorocarbon (CFCs) in hospital equipment.
- The 13-story, 250,000-sq.-ft. tower operates on 100% outside air, providing the best indoor air quality.
- Selected low-flow water fixtures reduces water usage by 30%.
- Building structure is comprised of 25% recycled material, including structural steel and drywall studs.