One Kearny included the demolition of an existing three-story building, ground-up seismic construction of an 11-story high rise on one of the most logistically challenging sites in the city, the historical and seismic renovation of an existing 12-story building constructed in 1902, and the modernization of a building designed by famous architect Charles W. Moore. The three adjoining buildings—a new 60,000-sq.-ft. building, the historic 1902 64,000-sq.-ft. building and the Charles W. Moore “annex,” which was added to the 1902 Building in 1956—was designed to become one, with a shared opening between the three different addresses. They offer boutique office space and retail space on the ground floor.
Demolition of the existing three-story building began in August 2007, and construction started on the new 11-story addition in November 2007. With zero lay down area and only 800 sq. ft. of parking lane to deliver materials, the project team had to employ a tower crane, set 240 feet above one of San Francisco's busiest intersections, to immediately pick up materials and place them into the building.
Along with the tight Market Street location, the construction team was challenged with maintaining the integrity of the two historic buildings, while constructing the attached contemporary steel-framed addition designed by San Francisco architect and structural engineer Charles Bloszies. The project also included a complete state-of-the-art seismic renovation, ADA compliant upgrades throughout the development, and installation of the latest telecommunications and security systems. In addition, new elevators and a new, energy-efficient curtain wall, which needed to look exactly the same as the old curtain wall to maintain the structure's historical building status, were installed for the annex project.