August 12, 2013
Florida International University (FIU)’s new ultramodern 137,000-sq.-ft., $43 million Academic Health Center 4 (AHC4) exemplifies teamwork, quality and schedule control. A long-term relationship with the architect as well as the team's inventive solutions helped make the most high-tech project ever delivered to this university a success.
DID YOU KNOW...
- Perkins+Will (project architect) and DPR have partnered together on more than 40 projects?
- With 10 work days lost in the first six weeks alone due to record rainfall (117 inches over 18 months), the team still completed the project on time and on budget?
- With the rain and the site’s geographic location at just above sea level, the team used a lunar calendar to determine when tides were at the lowest level?
- Use of pre-glazing and pre-installation shaved seven weeks off the schedule and saved hundreds of thousands of dollars?
- It was the first project on campus to fully incorporate building information modeling (BIM), which the team used for coordination, clash detection and field improvements?