Mark Whitson has built his career at DPR, beginning with a self-perform (SPW) drywall crew after interviewing through the company’s college recruiting program in 2001. As a graduate of Purdue University’s Construction Engineering and Management program, he then transitioned to the role of Project Engineer. In his early years with the organization, he led multiple project teams in complex renovation and ground-up healthcare, as well as mission critical projects.
Mark has demonstrated strong project engineering and project management skills, as well as an exceptional ability to take care of customers. In 2010, he relocated to Utah to help lead the $1.2B Utah Data Center, one of the largest and most technical projects DPR had taken on at that time. Upon completion, Mark relocated to Raleigh-Durham to serve as the Business Unit Leader, where he continued to build on the already strong culture and dominance in the life science core market. According to Mark, he feels fortunate to work with world-changing customers like hospitals and life science facilities who are providing patient care or changing the way the world treats illnesses.
Beginning in 2015, he expanded his responsibilities to help bring our Southeast business units together to operate in an integrated way with a “better together” mindset. In 2020, Mark transitioned from his role as Southeast Regional Leader to focus on the overall organization. He has helped increase integration and collaboration among DPR regions through his team-of-teams approach. As president of DPR and a member of DPR's Leadership Team, he leverages his operational expertise to drive the evolution of the company’s organizational framework to support DPR’s family of companies moving ever forward.
Mark assumed responsibilities of DPR president in January 2023.
- Role and Responsibility: Leadership Team Member and President
- Favorite DPR Core Value: Ever Forward
- What You Love About Construction: I love the impact that we have on helping other companies have best in class facilities for their people to enjoy and be the building blocks for the services that they provide.
- Most Useful App: Skiplagged
- Your Hero: My father and grandfather, because of the work ethic they instilled in me at a young age. They taught me that if you work hard, you can accomplish anything!
- Word to the Wise: Together we are better!