Derek Kirkland, who grew up with his dad building projects in Saudi Arabia, was awestruck by the scale and impact construction can have on a region. "My dad helped build an entire city from scratch, which inspired me and eventually led me to a career in construction," he said. Derek first joined DPR in 1997 and has over 26 years of expertise in the U.S. and U.K. construction industries. His experience consists of a wide variety of healthcare, higher education and life science projects, ranging from cGMP manufacturing facilities and pilot plants to R&D labs.
Since becoming a Business Unit Leader for Arizona in 2006, Derek has expanded DPR’s operations in Tucson growing the team to more than 400 staff and craft employees. His passion for developing and growing people, has led him to DPR’s People Practice Leadership Team, where he will continue to prove that building great people sets the stage to build great projects, great teams and a great business.
The formula for success at DPR is entirely about widening your influence, looking for opportunities to improve the business, grow our people and have a greater impact. Simple yet broad and unlimited.
- Favorite DPR Core Value: Ever Forward. I am very competitive and driven to get better, improve and raise my personal bar.
- Favorite Thing About Construction: The diversity of personalities and the dynamic nature of the process. It's a fantastic challenge every day figuring out how to get those two things in sync.
- First Job: A true seller/doer business, Dun-Kirk Car Wash and Lawn Service.
- Most Useful App: SWORKIT.
- Word to the Wise (Advice): Make every interaction count. No matter how small or insignificant it might seem. Do something with every opportunity; the smallest things can have a huge impact.