The first in the industry to use an 11-party integrated project delivery contract (in which the owner and 10 participants are contractually required to collaborate), the ground-up, 130-bed, 230,000-sq.-ft. acute care hospital was delivered ahead of schedule and at the $320 million set target cost. The new center includes all private rooms within the hospital, a Level 2 Trauma Emergency Department, diagnostic imaging, interventional services, intensive care and women's services.
Construction of the new facility was adjacent to the existing Eden Medical Center, which remained in full operation until the new medical center was completed. The new Sutter Eden Medical Center opened to the public on December 1, 2012.
In addition to building a landmark regional medical center that will integrate the latest medical technologies, the project is truly breaking new ground in healthcare construction:
- Integrated Project Delivery (IPD): The team used an 11-party Integrated Form of Agreement (IFOA) contract. In previous cases, only the owner, architect and general contractor have signed the agreement and formed the core IPD team.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM): This was one of the first instances where model-based estimating was used to generate estimates quicker and more frequently, giving the team greater access to real-time cost information.
- California OSHPD phased plan review system: This was one of the first projects to use this system, resulting in an overall schedule savings of nearly 12 months.
- California SB 1953 earthquake safety law: This was the first new medical center in Alameda County to be built in compliance with this law.
- Quantity Take-off
- Model-Based Estimating
- Self Perform Work Detailing
- MEP Coordination
- Constructibility Analysis
- Total Station Integration
- Site Logistics Planning
- SEAONC Engineering Awards Program Award of Excellence (2014)
- FIATECH CETI Award (2009)
- Tekla Global BIM Awards Competition (2010)
- Best Projects (2012)
- Real Estate Deal of the Year, Healthcare
San Francisco Business Times