Construction Employers Associate Excellence in Safety (2014)
AGC of DC
Associated General Contractors of Metro Washington
Construction Employers Associate Excellence in Safety (2013)
Construction Employers Associate Excellence in Safety (2012)
Building Injury Free
Many companies have great safety programs. DPR has a great safety culture. We promote and nurture an Injury-Free Environment (IFE), with the goal of achieving zero incidents on every project. Our teams measure and evaluate safety data daily. We use a mobile safety audit system to collect and analyze raw data from each jobsite, which helps teams identify leading indicators—-those elements that lead to incidents occurring—and develop meaningful and valuable prevention plans.
Safety in Numbers
DPR’s approach to safety centers on training, instilling and reinforcing safe behaviors throughout the company and entire project team, including owners, architects and subcontractors. We provide the tools and information people need to make informed decisions through detailed root-cause analysis and pre-task planning. The output is a robust, value-based safety program that looks upstream at leading indicators to produce exceptional downstream results:
- Over the last three years, DPR’s OSHA recordable incident rate averaged 1.07, based on an average of more than 5 million total hours worked—making us one of the safest contractors in the country.
- Based on nearly 800 customer surveys, DPR ranked significantly higher in safety when customers were asked to compare us with their best previous contractor experience.
Everyone has a Role in Safety
Customer participation is a vital component of our safety culture. To help achieve an IFE, we ask owners to:
- Pre-qualify contractors with safety as a key factor in the process.
- Ask questions, not only about injury rates and trends, but also about how safety standards and techniques are communicated between the office and field.
- Recognize that, from a business standpoint, safety is not mutually exclusive and goes hand-in-hand with quality, schedule and budget.
- Meet regularly with project teams and actively participate in a way that holds all members accountable.