The House of the Temple is the Headquarters for the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction. Dedicated in 1915, the Temple was John Russell Pope's first major commission in Washington, D.C., and it is modeled after the Tomb of Mausolus at Halicarnassus, included among the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. In the late 1920s, the House of the Temple was ranked as one of the three best public buildings in the United States. The renovation project encompassed upgrading the building's mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire and life safety systems to current standards, as well as improvements for emergency egress and disabled access. Renovation work needed to be sensitive to elaborate finishes and stonework that cannot be replicated by today's craftsmen.
The $60 million renovation project was accomplished with true Integrated Project Delivery methods, with full support of the owner through a multi-party Integrated Form of Agreement. This was one of DPR's most significant IPD projects to date on the East Coast.