Assistant Superintendent - Concrete
Posted Nov 1, 2023
Assistant Concrete Superintendent
General Summary of Duties: The Assistant Concrete Superintendent is primarily responsible for the field operations and ensuring that the structure is complete and accurate. This position will report to the Concrete Project Superintendent.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide jobsite leadership and direction.
- Manage all Concrete jobsite personnel to effectively perform their job requirements.
- Manage job activities according with DPR Policies and Procedures
- Enforce jobsite safety to comply with all OSHA regulations and DPR Safety Program to ensure a Zero Accident/Incident Project.
- Plan and supervise Structures Layout Engineer, skilled labor and subcontractors. Includes implementing method of construction, manpower levels, material quantities, equipment and temporary power sources.
- Assist in planning and set up an efficient jobsite layout and create site utilization plan for our scope of work.
- Assist in development of an overall Project Schedule for our scope of work. Attend and/or coordinate all jobsite near-term meetings and update Schedule accordingly. Address job issues arising from meeting.
- Assist in planning and establish the flow of work activities on the Project. Coordinate all field activities for our scope of work.
- Manage all field operations of subcontractors to effectively install their portion of the work.
- Maintain a working relationship with project subcontractors.
- Maintain relationships with overall Project Superintendent, Client and Design Professionals.
- Implement and manage Concrete & Industrial Quality Control Program on every project and ensure all Pre-Pour checklists are completed prior to the Pour. Assure that the quality of the work in place in accordance with the Plans and Specifications.
- Assist in coordinate and lead a Pre-Pour Conference with all applicable subcontractors and vendors prior to the first scheduled Pour.
- Maintain a clean and orderly jobsite.
- Assist in prequalify and hire all field labor. Conduct all pre-hire activities and terminations in accordance with DPR Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain daily logs to document all jobsite activities and events.
- Enforce DPR Drug, Alcohol and Harassment policies.
- Assist in reviewing Cost Reports and Projections and take action to effectively manage job costs to levels within the contract budget.
- Provide technical engineering information and interpretation of plans, detail sheets and specifications.
- Ensure that all building control points, and BMI’s are accurate and maintained.
- Ensure that all concrete components are in the precise locations and that all formwork is straight, plumb, level, true (not twisted or racked) before concrete is placed, while concrete is being placed and after formwork is wrecked.
- Assists in supervising field employees assigned to a particular activity (i.e., formwork crews, remedial crews, etc.).
- Identify and flag dimensional and/or diagrammatical conflicts in the structural, architectural, mechanical/electrical drawings and specifications (as they relate to the structure) by conferring with the Project Manager.
- Ensure Field Purchase Orders forms are completed for all Material purchases.
- Coordinate inspections with consultants and authorities as required by the contract.
- Inspect formwork and re-shoring for conformance to design drawings.
- Monitor installation of rebar and post tension cables for conformance to structural drawings.
- Schedule and manage all concrete pours.
- Accurately complete Timecards on a daily basis. Ensure all field personnel sign in/sign out daily. Conduct and document daily Pre-Task Meetings.
- Continually update drawings with changes as issued by the design team.
- Assist in review of reinforcing steel and formwork shop drawings for conformance to the contract drawings and construction plan.
- Ensure construction work complies with all engineering standards, codes, specifications and design instruction.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education – two-year education beyond high school or equivalent combination of technical training and related experience.
- Experience – Minimum of 5 years Industrial and Heavy Structural experience meeting the following requirements:
Managing small to medium construction projects involving multiple subcontractors and trades simultaneously under critical deadlines. Special experience and expertise in concrete structure construction. Expert knowledge of concrete gang forms, reinforcing and concrete placement techniques.
- Communication Skills – Ability to read, analyzes, and interpret contract documents, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients, subcontractors, and/or employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as dimensions distances, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability – Use of basic reasoning, thinking “on your feet”, and ability to resolve issues quickly with little or no direction from a superior. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
- Leadership – able to lead a diverse, multi-faceted project team to achieve project goals. Relationship builder, motivator and ability to drive the project. Bilingual a plus.
- Mentoring – ability and desire to train and mentor subordinate Engineers and field personnel.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations – OSHA 30 Hour preferred. If not current, to receive within the first year of employment and keep current.
- Full working knowledge of surveying techniques, equipment standards and procedures are necessary.
- Computer Skills - Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Project.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; used hands to handle/feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. You are occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop or kneel.
- You must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- You will be working in a temporary facility/structure.
- While performing the duties of this job, you regularly work in outside weather conditions. You frequently work near moving mechanical parts. You occasionally work in high, precarious places and are occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Other Relevant Information:
- This position is an EXEMPT position and is not subject to overtime pay.
- This position is assigned to jobsite locations.
- Travel/Relocation is required in this position
- This position will report to the Concrete Project Superintendent. This may change project to project but will be addressed at the beginning of each project.
- This position is Salaried
Not for you?
Return to all open positions.