Structural Design Intern - GPLA
Baltimore - GPLA
Posted Nov 16, 2023
GPLA, part of the DPR family of companies, is seeking a driven Structural Designer Intern. As an Intern with GPLA you will collaborate with a team of architects, engineers, and drafters to transform design concepts into detailed structural plans and specifications. You will utilize computer-aided design (CAD) software and other industry-standard tools to develop accurate and efficient structural designs. Attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and a strong understanding of structural engineering principles will be crucial in this role.
The Structural Designer Intern role will primarily focus on gaining exposure to the variety of approaches and tasks involved in structural design through the completion of specific design tasks in close coordination with a project manager. You will gain familiarity with a variety of material types, design approaches, project phases, and project scales, while actively participating in their project teams.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Drafting, miscellaneous design, conceptual studies, structural steel and reinforcing detail.
- The creation and/or revision of calculations, drawings, and specifications from conceptual design to construction documents and plan check responses; and construction administration tasks under close supervision and coordination with their project manager.
- Assist in the development of structural designs for various construction projects, including buildings, bridges, and other infrastructure.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, and drafters to translate design concepts into detailed plans and specifications.
- Utilize CAD software and other tools to create 2D and 3D models of structural designs.
- Perform calculations and analyses to ensure structural integrity and compliance with building codes and regulations.
- Contribute to the preparation of construction documents, including drawings, specifications, and technical reports.
- Review and revise designs based on feedback from senior designers and project stakeholders.
- Participate in site visits and meetings to gain practical knowledge and understand project requirements.
- Stay updated with industry trends and advancements in structural design techniques and technologies.
- Collaborate with team members to meet project deadlines and deliver high-quality design solutions.
- Depending on depth of experience, a facility with AutoCAD, Revit, and a variety of engineering analysis programs, including RAM Structural System, RAM Concept, and RISA; and familiarity with current standards of practice, including ASCE 7, ASCE 41, CBC, ACI, AISC, and NDS.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of engineering principles and structural design concepts.
- Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, such as AutoCAD or Revit.
- Familiarity with structural analysis software is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work accurately under pressure.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration within a team.
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly in a dynamic work environment.
- A strong work ethic and a desire to grow and develop as a structural designer.
Education & Experience:
- Pursuing BA or Master’s degree in Structural Engineering.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Not for you?
Return to all open positions.