Senior Estimator - Special Services Group (SSG)
Posted May 17, 2023
DPR Construction is seeking a senior estimator with at least 8 years of commercial construction experience for our Special Services Group (SSG).
SSG projects range up to $20M with an average of $1-3M.
Estimators will work primarily on negotiated commercial projects within our core markets: healthcare, advanced technology, higher education, life sciences and corporate office. Senior estimators will work closely with architects, engineers, owners, and subcontractors and are required to have the following skills:
- Handling the project from first estimate all the way through subcontracts being formalized.
- Ability to look beyond the information that has been given, to ask the right questions and work to provide a complete project cost evaluation.
- Must be a collaborative and passionate advocate for our customers, empowering and informing them throughout the project.
- Must be aggressive in providing innovative solutions to complex issues as they arise related to cost, lead-times, trade partners, and/or specified products or materials.
- Ability to make reliable predictions as it relates to cost and be comfortable estimating across all scopes of work.
- Must have experience preparing detailed conceptual cost estimates and conceptual cost studies from schematic or feasibility-level documentation.
- Ability to prepare detailed estimates and, as the design evolves, develop variance summaries between estimates and value engineering studies throughout.
- Ability to assemble a complete presentation-worthy estimate package that clearly communicates project cost.
- Must be able to collaborate with project team to establish the necessary staffing and project requirements.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of unit costs and the factors that affect construction cost.
- Ability to prepare detailed instructions to bidders, trade specific clarifications and comprehensive bid packages.
- Must have experience with the bidding process: soliciting bids, communicating with the bidders, evaluating subcontractor proposals, using bid tally sheets, etc.
- Make subcontractor award recommendations to customer/owner and the negotiation and finalization of subcontracts with trade partners.
- Must be prepared to participate and often lead the preparation and presentation of cost / budget information to the customer/owner.
- Must have experience being a member of the team involved in request for proposal responses (RFP’s) and the formal presentation for a project.
- Ability to engage and develop business with new and existing customers.
- Ability to lead the preparation and presentation of cost / budget information to the customer/owner.
- Ability to lead and facilitate value engineering sessions with the project team and design team.
- Is a key participant with leadership experience involved in request for proposal responses (RFP’s) and the formal presentation for a project.
- Must be familiar with reviewing construction contracts and can identify key insurance and damages clauses.
- Can lead, manage and motivate project teams during the preconstruction phase of a project.
We are looking for a flexible, detail-oriented team player with the ability to manage multiple tasks, produce quality work, and consistently meet deadlines. The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent listening skills and strong communication skills.
- Creative and innovative approaches and solutions on a project-by-project basis.
- Ability to identify, adapt to, and resolve complex issues.
- Effective participation in team environment, with both external and internal teammates.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, estimating software (WinEst, Timberline or similar), take-off software (On-Screen Takeoff or similar), BIM tools (Revit, Assemble, etc.), project management software (CMiC or similar), and scheduling software (Primavera or similar).
- 8+ years of experience as a commercial construction estimator preferably within DPR’s core markets.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus but not required.
- A strong work ethic and a “can-do” attitude.
- This job is salaried.
Not for you?
Return to all open positions.