Location: Washington, D.C.
A BIM Engineer with DPR Construction will work as a member of the Quality and Innovation Group with DPR project teams and self-performed work groups to improve delivery using Building Information Models – BIM. A BIM Engineer will take on responsibilities in the following areas. Continued growth in these areas lead to career paths in Design Management, Estimating, Project Management and Superintending. The BIM Engineer will work in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Develop schematic level and detailed models based upon libraries of parametric or solid objects.
- These models may include structure, interior and exterior architectural elements, and mechanical and electrical systems.
- Create new library components as needed.
- Lead DPR teams or work with vendors to laser scan existing structures. Coordinate delivery of a 3D object model created from laser scan data by the vendor.
- Coordinate with BIM service providers to ensure accuracy and timely delivery of 3D object models.
- Prepare BIM requirements and work scopes for incorporation in the Owner and sub-trade contracts.
- Object Definitions
- Develop modeling protocols and standards for use by design professionals to link with DPR’s estimating approach and system.
- Take-off Quantities
- Produce material quantity reports from 3D models for DPR estimators.
- Identify long lead subcontract items and integrate them into 4D simulations of the construction schedule.
- Schedule and expedite submittals of shop / fabrication level models for timely approval.
- Participate and head up the model coordination meetings with stakeholders such as owner, architects and engineers and subcontractors.
- Prepare and distribute follow-up action items for subcontractor detailers and modelers
- Review all subcontractor and vender shop drawing level models for compliance with contact documents and coordination with all other items of work.
- Use BIM to identify conflicts, incomplete or ambiguous design information and study questions/issues presented by subs, venders, designers, DPR crews and staff or others.
- Use BIM to resolve and document construction solutions promptly, including - when necessary - interfacing with designers, engineers or the Owner.
- Record trade model coordination sign offs.
- Prepare “shop drawing” level 3D models such as concrete forms and wall frame detailing under direction of Superintendent for use by DPR crews or subs.
- Work closely with DPR Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents and foremen to model construct-ability issues and solutions for self-performed work.
- Calculate quantities from 3D models for material orders and crew work planning.
- Produce dimensioned drawings for layout and pre-fabrication from the model.
- Participate in job layout driven by 3D model data. Verify elevations and dimensions using computer driven survey and modeling equipment such as Total Station.
Planning & Scheduling:
- Master and Phase Schedules
- Work collaboratively with design professionals to develop the Design Phase Schedule to support the Master Schedule. Monitor, update and revise the Design Phase Schedule to reflect progress and on-going team planning.
- Prepare, monitor and update 4D simulations of Master and Phase Schedules
- Develop the Modeling and Coordination Schedule to support the Master Schedule.
Weekly Construction Coordination:
- Prepare coordinated model and 4D simulations of completed and upcoming production plans for review by subcontractor foremen.
- Evaluate construction installations for conformity to 3D coordinated models and sequencing agreements.
Model Change Control:
- Develop 3D object models to illustrate contractor questions and possible solutions.
- Update as-built and revised Building Information Model to reflect changes in scopes, where DPR has assumed this responsibility.
- Maintain BIM revision log.
- Distribute new and revised models showing changes and responses to design questions to all affected parties.
- Derive material quantities for DPR self performed Change Order work from 3D models.
- Assist in training of regional Virtual Building Gurus and project personnel in the use of BIM tools such as NavisWorks, Revit, ArchiCAD, ADT, Innovaya etc. This will most likely involve travel to projects and any of the DPR Regional offices.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Professionalism in dealing with Owners, Architects, Subcontractors, Consultants, Crafts people and co-workers.
- Maintain excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Motivation to continually learn and take on added responsibilities while maintaining a positive attitude. Develop expertise in each skill area exposed to.
- Judgment: Knowing how to respond to a problem in a manner consistent with the Company’s primary interest.
- Planning – Looks ahead and organizes activities to stay on top of the project’s needs.
- Initiative – Seeks out new opportunities to contribute. Pushes the envelope, raise the bar. Treat each task as an opportunity to excel.
- Ownership – Is totally committed to the success of the project, his teammates and the company. Sees the success of his project as a reflection on him.
Autodesk BIM Applications:
1. Autodesk AutoCAD
2. Autodesk Revit Architecture
3. Autodesk Revit Structure
4. Autodesk 3D Studio Max
5. Autodesk Navisworks
6. Autodesk Inventor
7. Autodesk Design Review
8. Autodesk Buzzsaw
9. Autodesk QTO
Other BIM Applications:
1. Tekla Structures
2. Tekla Precast Concrete Detailing
3. Strucsoft Metal Wood Framer
4. Vico Control
5. Vico Office
6. Innovaya Visual Estimating Suite
7. Bentley Microstation
8. Bentley BIM Applications
9. Bentley ProjectWise Collaboration and Navigator System
10. Synchro 4D
11. Solibri Model Checker
12. Google SketchUp
- Moderate travel may be required. Travel will be to DPR jobsites, offices of Business Partners etc.
Experience and Education:
- A 4 year College Degree in Construction Engineering and Management; Architecture; minimum 5+ years experience in utilizing BIM software.
Contact: Northeast Careers
Submit Your Resumé
Please provide a few details and attach a PDF copy of your resumé.