Already recognized as one the strongest academic community colleges in California, Cosumnes River College took another step to reinforce its prestigious position with the Winn Center for Architecture and Construction. This design-build facility houses the construction, architecture, pharmacy technology and photography programs for the college campus. In addition to classroom space, there are design studios and laboratories within the building.
The 41,500-sq.-ft. building is designed to bring construction and architecture professionals together to work and learn as a team. It also serves as a gathering place for members of the industry to meet and interact with each other and with students aspiring to join them in the industry.
The project is pursuing LEED Platinum certificaiton.
Read more about the project in the extended case study.
- Water-efficient irrigation system
- Drought-resistant plant species
- On-site rainwater harvesting
- “Green screen” shades to reduce heat gain
- White roofing membrane to reduce heat effect
- Chilled beams in most classroom and office areas
- Energy recover wheel- reduces loads on heating and cooling
- Radiant floor heating and cooling
- Low-flow plumbing fixtures
- “Hydration station” type drinking fountains provided to refill reusable bottles
- Rooftop photovoltaic panels
- Lighting occupancy sensors
- Energy-use monitoring display
- Tubular skylights
- Low-VOC paints, adhesives, and flooring systems
- Minimum 20% recycled content in materials used
- Minimum 75% of construction and demolition waste recycled or salvaged
- Design Build Project of the Year (2013)
Region Builders, Inc.