Charlotte, NC • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Posted Nov 8, 2023
Overall Role & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assisting and supporting the financial and accounting results for the Southeast Region.
- Be a strategic business partner to Lead Project Accountant and Regional Controller (RC).
- Report to the RC timely and accurate information
- Monthly reporting of financial results along with an evaluation of risks and opportunities for assigned projects
- Participate and align with outcomes expected and/or exposures noted from profitability reviews
- Evaluate provisions for known claims/exposures with appropriate teams; assist in resolution as appropriate
- Support the business with the annual 3 Year Business Planning process – including an understanding/quantification of key bets
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Advance/lead Finance initiatives supporting companywide improvements
Specific Areas of Focus Include:
- Work with RC on draft financials, attend monthly review meetings, and finalize monthly regional financials.
- Maintain, update, and audit the Southeast business unit backlog data
- Monitoring overhead cost trends and investigate unusual trends
- Participate in monthly/quarterly overhead reviews
- Review project cost reports anomalies with RC and share any risks/reserves not reported or needed based on experience
- Monitor related insurance programs and their related projections and understand variances.
- Track and monitor labor productivity including the understanding of the specific labor rate structure(s)
- Ensure project set-up is accurate in and in line with company standards (use of cost codes, rates, etc.)
- Miscellaneous – data mining as needed for RC for any reason to demonstrate performance, results, “what-ifs”, changes year over year, etc.
- Support monthly risk/reserve analysis for active projects
- Assist in the development of the business unit financial statements based on booked and backlog work, projected labor hours and overhead trends. Includes analysis around actuals vs. plan and updating trend projections
- Participate in internal/external audits and help the team provide the follow up information necessary.
- Identify topics and issues that need to be communicated with adjacent groups. Communicate and drive billing best practices with the accounting group (billing process map, roles & responsibilities, use of Textura, etc.,)
- Follow up with Lead Project Accountants on timeliness of invoices and collections Provide support for overall cash flow/position for each project and implement corrective action as needed
- Regular and thorough communication with RC and BUL
- Access to reliable transportation
- The role may require periodic travel within the two business units
- Access and visibility within the region (create plan for which office and which day)
- Strong organizational skills, able to work independently to meet deadlines
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills managing large workbooks
- Critical thinker with problem solving skills using research & analytics as well as by a team mentality. Able to get further upstream (proactive about identifying trends, issues, troubleshooting, etc.,)
- Minimum of 7 years practicing accounting and finance support
- Prior experience with consolidated reporting covering multiple projects
- Construction industry experience
- BS in Accounting or related field (finance, audit, tax)
- Proficiency with accounting software applications
- Knowledge in Oracle EPM related program a plus
Not for you?
Return to all open positions.