Heavy Equipment Operator
Posted Sep 19, 2022
Heavy Equipment Machine Operator
General Summary of Duties: The Machine Operator will operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner. The work requires considerable skill in manipulating equipment and constant attention to safety of operation in order to prevent accidents. Assignments are outlined by supervisors and standard procedures are followed in the performance of duties. Work is inspected periodically for safety and economy in operation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Safely and skillfully operate a backhoe, front end loader or other related construction equipment.
- Potentially serve as a crew leader by directing the work of a small number of workers.
- Maintain equipment in proper operating condition through preventative maintenance tasks (making simple adjustments, replacing minor parts, and lubricating equipment).
- Work with a maintenance crew or as a laborer when not operating equipment.
- Assess visually digging areas to ensure that areas have been staked or marked prior to digging.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless service.
- Work around potential obstacles to avoid damage.
- Follow strict safety guidelines when using equipment to prevent harming others or yourself.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The operator should have at least four years experience in related work and equipment operation with direct experience references. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Communication Skills: Demonstrate effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written; clear, concise, effective)
- Ability to work effectively with others as team member
- Demonstrate organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrate drive in performance of duties
- Exhibit integrity and positive attitude at all times
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances and rules involved in equipment operation.
- Knowledge of hazards, safety rules and precautions for heavy equipment operation.
- Ability to understand and comply with simple written & oral instructions given in English language.
- Observe or monitor objects to determine compliance with operating or safety standards.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written materials such as equipment operations manuals.
- Upper body strength and overall physical agility to complete tasks (ex. Operating a backhoe).
- Ability to move heavy objects is often required to remove rocks and debris.
- Ability to detect necessary equipment repairs by visually and/or audibly perceiving malfunctions.
- Make fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of a control mechanism.
- Move heavy objects (50 pounds or more) long distances (more than 20 feet)
- Operators are frequently expected to work in rain and snow, so overall good health is required to withstand wind and precipitation as well as heat.
- Work under hazardous conditions where physical danger exists due to mechanical equipment.
- Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
Other Relevant Information:
- This position is Non-Exempt and IS subject to overtime pay.
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
Pay based on experience and capabilities.
DPR offers Medical/Dental/Vision Life Insurance/ Paid Care Leave along with a 401K(k) match for employees.