A 12-party Integrated Form Of Agreement (IFOA) provided the foundation for the Integrated Project Delivery Team to design and provide preconstruction services using Lean principals, Building Information Modeling (BIM), and shared incentive to construct this ground up hospital in the middle of an existing fully operational urban hospital campus.
When completed, the new Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Patient Care Pavilion will house 243 medical/surgical and acute rehabilitation beds. The Patient Care Pavilion building consists of two major components: a patient care tower and a basement and rooftop central utility plant. The new tower will be 13 stories tall, with 11 stories reaching approximately 184 feet above ground, and two levels below grade, wrapping around the existing Merritt Pavilion and providing approximately 230,000 sq. ft. of new space.
The project is currently designed to LEED Silver certification and following the Green Guide for Health Care and Sustainability Practices. Following are some current metrics:
- DPR Construction is recycling 85% of demolition materials:
- Asphalt/Concrete: 100%
- Scrap Metal: 100%
- Mixed Debris: 80%
- Project meets all requirements for Green Guide to Healthcare and Sustainability Practices.
- Exceeds California Title 24 Energy Efficiency Standards by 16%.
- 1.1 watts/sf for lighting design.
- PVC-free building.
- 75% of the rooms are naturally day lit.
- No chlorofluorocarbon (CFCs) in hospital equipment.
- The 13-story, 230,000-sq.-ft. tower will operate on 100% outside air, providing the best indoor air quality.
- Selected low-flow water fixtures will reduce water usage by 30%.
- Building structure is comprised of 25% recycled material, including structural steel and drywall studs.
An integrated form of agreement (IFOA) is providing the foundation for the 12-party integrated project delivery (IPD) team to design and provide preconstruction services using Lean principals, building information modeling (BIM), and shared incentive to construct this ground-up facility in the middle of an existing fully operational urban hospital campus.
- Quantity Take-off
- Model Based Estimating
- SPW Detailing
- SPW Tracking
- MEP Coordination
- Constructability Analysis
- Total Station Integration
- Site Logistics Planning
- Fiatech CETI Award (Celebration of Engineering and Technology Innovation): Scenario-Based Project Planning Category