Location: Redwood City, California
Sr. Commercial Construction Estimator will apply advanced knowledge of cost estimating, and principles of civil engineering and construction management to large scale commercial construction projects to build state-of-the-art Advanced Technology, Corporate Office, Healthcare, and Life Sciences facilities. Works on our largest and most complex projects with budgets up to $500 million dollars. Key member of design teams consisting of Engineers, Architects, and Jr. Estimators as well as specialty estimators.
- Analyze existing site conditions, blueprints and other schematic documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates for multimillion dollar commercial construction projects.
- Perform design analysis and scope review using both electronic quantity surveys such as OST (2-D quantity take off) and Building Information Modeling (3-D modeling using AutoCad Revit and Navisworks for example).
- Perform constructability studies and identify design and constructability issues.
- Prepare detailed construction budgets based on cost estimates; prepare detailed cost studies based on time, materials, and labor utilizing Estimating Software and other software programs for high value commercial construction projects.
- Provide regular, detailed reports of cost estimate and budget updates and manage the budget throughout the design and construction process, including variance summaries between estimates.
- Hold Value Engineering sessions with the project team and design teams to seek out optimum value throughout the life cycle of a project, including conducting research on selected materials and products from design, constructability, environmental and cost perspectives, and on balancing design goals with structural, construction, environmental and cost limitations.
- Consider the procurement, logistics and scheduling of a project, and as applicable define alternatives and present value options for cost efficiency.
- Confer with architects and engineers to prepare comprehensive bid packages for new projects (including detailed scope of work instructions for bidders with trade specific clarifications and building code specifications), serve as liaison with design team and subcontractors to ensure the full scope of work is understood and included in bidding.
- Negotiate complex bid packages with subcontractors based on scope, time, materials and labor costs.
- Provide cost estimates for Request for Proposal (RFP) Responses and lead team to present the comprehensive project bid to Owner/Client.
- Set up and oversee the cost monitoring and reporting mechanisms for projects and report to Preconstruction Executive Manager.
- Develop benchmarks and a benchmarking library (maintaining historical data) using available data and analyzing market trends, and develop and present cost and budget information to project management for multimillion dollar projects.
Notes: Based at DPR office in Redwood City, California. May work at or travel to other DPR offices and DPR project sites in the San Francisco Bay Area, including the following counties: San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin.
Requirements for the position:
Education: BS Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or closely related field; or equivalent foreign degree.
Experience: 3 years of progressive, post-baccalaureate experience as Cost Estimator or closely related occupation, for large commercial construction projects.
- Experience cost estimating, preparing, and/or managing budgets of up to $500 million throughout all phases of a commercial construction project, including preconstruction design phase, preparation of detailed cost estimates, incorporation of change orders, and updated projections.
- 3 years of experience in at least two (2) of the following markets: Advanced Technology, Corporate Office, Healthcare, Life Sciences
- Experience with estimating and measurement software, such as AutoCad Revit, Timberline, WinEst, Navisworks, and SiteWorks.
- Experience identifying potential constructability issues, and engaging in cost control and risk management to achieve design goals.
- Experience managing and developing historical cost databases.
Contact: Resumes to [email protected] or submit below; applicants must reference Job # RWC.E.01.
Submit Your Resumé
Please provide a few details and attach a PDF copy of your resumé.